How to build a GREAT Business Book Club that “GROWS UP” Your Company?Jan 19, 2021
Everyone who knows me – knows I am a ferocious reader of business books. Some would even call me a business book junkie. I definitely am. Every time I read a business book – for the first time or the second time or the tenth time – I always learn something new. Always. As with every situation being different, each time I read the book, I always walk away with different learnings.
In my first business I am known for having read 4 business books per week for over 24 months. Why? I was looking to learn as much as I possible could from others who had built and grown businesses. My big mistake was reading these books by myself. I should have been reading them with my team so we could learn together and implement what made sense for our company, team and individuals.
A Business Team Book Club is one of the most effective and inexpensive ways to learn together. And we know teams that learn together win together!
Book Club Setup Option:
- You can setup this up with the whole company or certain teams.
- All team members read the same book at the same time.
- All team members finish the book at the agreed timing.
- A consistent timely meeting is setup for the team to review the book together.
- The team is provided with the next title to read, agree on timing and expectations are set out.
Book Club Meeting:
When we set this up in our first company, it started with the leadership team first and then it grew throughout the company. We ended up all reading the same book at the same time and then we broke into our functional teams to discuss and then we discussed at the leadership team meeting after the fact. The key to a great Book Club is the discussion after reading the book.
Key Questions for Review and Discussion:
- What did you like about this book?
- What did you not like about this book?
- What was your impression of the author?
- Does this book offer any methods/advice/tools we can use within the Metronome system?
- Should we implement the method/advice/tools within the Metronome system? What would be our expected outcome and why?
- What is the best way to start the implementation, where does it fit and when should we start?
In our experience with Business Team Book Clubs drive:
- Team Engagement
- Team Camaraderie
- Common Team language
- Team Innovation and Creativity
- Team Talent
- One Collaborative Team Brain
- Team Focus
- Teams’ understanding of the Metronome Compound Growth System
We love Business Team Book Clubs at Metronome United!! Business thoughts leaders both academic and experiential have founded, formed, and shaped the Metronome Compound Growth System and all the consistent outcomes for over 25 years.